Thursday, May 3, 2018

and The Ninth Commandment

Letter from a person who does not need a good reputation in order to be happy or successful:

Although I'd like to be remembered as a boy scout, a faithful husband, and a man of honesty, I realize that my certification as having a sterling reputation is not necessary for me to be happy with myself. It'd be nice, but not a key to my happiness. Being happy with myself is a matter strictly between me and the absolute authority in this universe.

Dear Heavenly Father, architect of the universe, creator of all life, I humbly come here today to praise You. I praise Your complete and unconditional support for me. You are the Rock that anchors my confidence. Everything I do is to honor you. Amen


I am a proud product of the Boy Scouts of America process, I am an ambassador for faithfulness, loyalty, friendship, and honesty. I know these things about myself. So, if you drip lies into the public arena that are designed to taint my reputation, the lies will not shake me...no matter what the lie, no matter how widespread its repetition, nor how famous the person who spreads it. It doesn't matter that people I respect believe the lies (most won't). It doesn't matter what fake evidence you distribute, it won't have a drastic effect, because I know who I am.

But, there's a consequence. Every lie has an aftereffect. If you're the false witness (liar), you should have a real fear...an expectation of shame whittling away at your own self esteem and the specter of retribution in the form of a shot fired at your own reputation from the unfortunate situation you created. If you're an innocent victim, a person who received the false message, and worried how to factor this information into your friendships or daily activities, I understand your unsureness. It's because reputations have a value in society. Knowing who you are is a stronger pill, though, and when you have God's promise of support backing you up, you can stand strong. God provides the cure, and He never fails.


In the face of an attack on your reputation, be confident of who your really are. Don't waver. Never give up.  

7 comments:

d'Fetz said...

Is this in response to current politics?

Anonymous said...

Nice to know there's someone who has my back, too. The Rock.

Speelin' Steveberg said...

Is this about "Thou shall not commit false witness?" It would be nice to read about some of the other commandments. Thanks.

Ed said...

This fits in with Reputations of politicians being perp-walked into the limelight illuminated by lies, a recent phenomenon. If you're a prominent figure recently besotted by lies or innuendos, never give up the attack against the liars. Your reputation is safe with me.

dimaggio said...

You can't buy your reputation.

C. Hustle said...

You can't gamble it away and win, either.

Samuel (to the Bishop) said...

You can't kill the truth. Think about that. It's heavy.